Aldrich Museum

Ridgefield, Connecticut

The Aldrich is one of the few independent, non-collecting
contemporary art museums in the United States, and the only museum in
Connecticut devoted to contemporary art. The original building was constructed in 1783 by two lieutenants in the Revolutionary War, and has since served as a grocery, hardware store, residence, church as well as the town’s first post office. In 1964, art collector Larry Aldrich purchased the building to contain his growing collection.

In 2001 a design for a new addition was established that would both reflect the contemporary nature of the museums collection, while also respecting the historic significance of the original building.

The  25,000 square foot renovated and expanded facility accommodates twelve galleries, a screening room, sound gallery, 22-foot-high project space, 100-seat performance area, education center, museum store, sculpture garden, a two-acre outdoor exhibition space.

The project recieved a design award from the American Institute of Architects as well as an honorable mention from the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation.

Mr. Hromadka worked on the design of this project while employed at Tappé Associates of Boston.